What is ELENA?
In order to facilitate the mobilisation of funds for investments in sustainable energy at local level, the European Commission and the European Investment Bank have established the ELENA technical assistance facility (European Local ENergy Assistance), financed through the Intelligent Energy-Europe programme.
ELENA covers up to 90% of the costs associated with the technical assistance for preparing large sustainable energy investment programmes in cities and regions such as feasibility and market studies, structuring of programmes, business plans, energy audits, preparation for tendering procedures - in short, everything necessary to make cities' and regions' sustainable energy projects ready for EIB funding.
Who can apply?
Technical assistance supported by the ELENA facility can be provided to a local or regional authority or other public body or a grouping of such bodies.
Which type of investment can be supported?
Technical assistance can be provided for the development of investment programmes which the EIB may co-finance within the following areas:
- Public and private buildings, including social housing, street and traffic lighting, to support increased energy efficiency
- Urban transport to support increased energy efficiency and integration of renewable energy sources
- Local infrastructure including smart grids and information & communication technology infrastructure
How to apply?
Public bodies preparing an investment programme can apply continuously and directly to the EIB. Contacts with the EIB can be in any form - by telephone, fax, e-mail or letter (the preferred way is through e-mail to email@example.com).
Applicants should present their investment programme to the EIB and indicate the need for technical assistance under the Facility. For a first contact a brief description is needed of the planned investment (e.g. type of investment, approach to implementation), the expected investment cost and time schedule for the programme, plus the amount, scope and main needs to be addressed by the requested technical assistance. The assistance will be granted on a first-come first-served basis within the limits of the given budget.
- Find out more about ELENA on the EIB
- View or download a general presentation on the ELENA technical assistance facility (.pdf)
- Find out more about the EIB’s initiatives in the field of renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Find out about the capacity building workshop on the ELENA facility that was organised in 2010, as part of the European Sustainable Energy Week 2010