download the case study
AGENER took part in the construction of seven PV installations in order to promote the adoption of municipally owned, grid connected PV solar systems. Additionally, AGENER with the support of the Provincial Council of Jaén, installed 14 photovoltaic systems in municipal schools for the purpose of monitoring.
General benefits of the programme include:
- Reducing the energy consumption and the emission of greenhouse gases (GHG), such as CO2.
- Strengthening the image of the province as being concerned with sustainable development.
- Raising awareness of topics regarding energy saving by means of the utilisation of renewable energy sources
- Part of the success has been the use of standard PV systems, where AGENER has provided a complete turnkey solution for the local municipalities and schools (project set-up, deployment, management and monitoring). Thereby not creating any issues with RES solutions that are too complex for local actors, while taking on the management responsibility ourselves, and allowing local actors such as schools to see first hand the benefits and to slowly build the interest and knowledge of how the systems work.
Benefits for communal authorities include:
- Improving the communal authorities’ image with regard to sustainability
- Obtaining some incomes from the projects
- Creating a good example and securing a positive demonstration effect for local citizens
Benefits for the region:
- Furthering the diversification of the economic tissue of these localities, and creating new employment opportunities.
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- Increasing the production of electricity from renewable sources, which helps achieve the objectives included in the national energy plan.
Thus one of the key strengths of the project has been that it created a financial incentive and general benefit for all actors concerned. The project enabled regional authorities to provide their regional subsidies to local municipalities. The local municipalities have thereby been able to avoid taking on significant debt, and instead received some additional income.
The monitoring portal for the PV installations can be seen on our website www.agener-online.es. Through this monitoring system, we control the production and the environmental benefits of the plants.
Lessons learned and Repeatability
Benefits for AGENER:
- To increase the usefulness and confidence for our target groups
- To get money for covering our fixed costs
- To develop a model that acts as a catalyst in promoting the deployment of PV solutions
The most important thing is to know the role of the LEA, looking at how we can best serve our local partners and sponsors, in our case, for the Provincial and Local Councils.
The role of AGENER in the implementation of renewable energy systems could be replicated by all European energy agencies, with the guarantee of a provincial council or another public administration.