Energy Farm, Sweden
Case Study (133 Kb PDF)
The objective for the programme "the Energy Farm" is to facilitate the transition of the energy system in Region Västra Götaland to increased use of renewables. It is to be a gathering and pushing force, with a local producer and user perspective, in the development of renewable energy production for the west Swedish agriculture. The aim for the Energy Farm is that in the year 2020, the Region Västra Götaland has taken care of 25 percent of the potential for renewable energy production at 20 TWh.
Main funder is Region Västra Götaland and the project has a broad range of partners, including stakeholders in all the chain from the producer (farmer) to the end user of energy.
The programme is supporting the agricultural enterprises by information, guidance, education, technical development as well as business development. Common for all these activities are that the Energy Farm is building networks, initiating projects, communicating, doing feasibility studies and transfer experiences.
Among the results from the Energy Farm the following can be mentioned:
- Coordination of all current actors in the energy field in the four activity areas described under "Process".
- Establishment of network between the actors in Region Västra Götaland.
- Coordination of farmers, energy advisors/consultants and researchers to find out what is needed to be done in the technical area to make it possible for the farmers to produce different types of biomasses.
- Coordination for common applications to possible financers.
- The first common project programme was approved by the Swedish Board of Agriculture in February 2006.
- A project web page.
- In September 2007 a project was initiated to create meeting points €Energy Farms€ at seven agricultural upper secondary schools in Region Västra Götaland.
- For the spring 2008 it is planned to do an inventory of farms that have interesting energy projects and possibility to receive study visits.
Lessons learned and repeatability
Energy Farm leads to deepened cooperation between the agricultural stakeholders of Västra Götaland. The cooperation is focused on problem solving and facilitating for business development. Secondary effects of the project are therefore faster development of renewable energy from agriculture, including increased work opportunities and less climate impact.
In this kind of projects, where there is not much direct financial gains or large budgets, it is crucial that a win-win situation is created. By starting the process with agreeing on a common aim for the projects this was ensured. The focus of the activities of the project has also been decided by the group to ensure the engagement of the members. Some of the stakeholders are members of the board. They are also taking part in the practical work ensuring their knowledge of the activities.
The Energy Farm has its seat in the town Skara, situated in a rich agricultural part of Västra Götaland. To ensure that the initiative is not seen as a project only for this part, effort has been put in including the other parts by for example localizing meetings in these parts.
This project can be repeated in all agricultural regions where there are stakeholders sharing the same vision of agricultural development.