ManagEnergy Workshop, Brussels, Belgium
24 March 2010
Capacity Building Workshop on the ELENA facility
The ELENA facility was launched on 15 December 2009 by the European Investment Bank and is designed specifically to help regional and local authorities to obtain funding for investments in sustainable energy projects. Huge interest has already been expressed by local and regional authorities across the EU. In response to this, a special half-day interactive workshop on ELENA was organised on the afternoon of 24 March 2010 in Brussels at the Committee of the Regions, following the ManagEnergy Annual Conference, as part of the EU Sustainable Energy Week (EUSEW).
This interactive workshop provided a unique opportunity for officials from local and regional authorities and their advisers (especially local energy agencies) to meet with representatives from the EIB, to discuss project ideas and to ask detailed questions. In order to ensure that the EIB officials could give targeted and tailored feedback to the participants, the number of places was limited, and priority was given to participants coming from public authorities or with a mandate from public authorities.
The workshop addressed the following topics:
- Presentation of the ELENA Facility.
- Practical conditions, content of technical assistance.
- Definition of a good project from a bank’s perspective.
- Key steps to take before contacting ELENA.
- The EIB’s view on the role of, and expectations from, local and regional authorities and energy agencies regarding support under the ELENA Facility.
- How to pool small-scale projects and address partnership responsibilities, confidentiality, risk issues, and geographical scope.
- Further information about the support available and the target audience (on the BEI website)
Introduction to the ELENA facility:
- The ELENA Facility
Ralf Goldmann, European Investment Bank
- EIB Financing Clean and Energy Efficient Urban Transport
Mario Aymerich, Head of Division, Urban Transport & Other Urban Infrastructure, European Investment Bank
- Promotion of the Covenant of Mayors in the Province of Barcelona: Methodology, Results and Lessons. The ELENA Facility as a key tool for the implementation of investments
Dr. Ferran Vallespinós i Riera, Coordinator of the Environment Area, Province of Barcelona, Spain
Mr Ralf Goldmann, Mr Reinhart Six and Dr Ferran Vallespinós i Riera
Speakers, presentations and participants at the workshop.