SEAP development and implementation in Lithuania
• Municipal representatives interested in becoming CoM signatories • Research institutes • National authorities • Stakeholders from the financial sector
This workshop was arranged in cooperation with the Municipality of Panevezys, which is one of the eight Lithuanian Covenant of Mayors signatories. Panevezys is the fifth largest city in Lithuania with 114,000 inhabitants.
Furthermore, the workshop cooperated with various Lithuanian organizations including the Association of Local Authorities Lithuania (ALAL), which has acted as a Lithuanian CoM supporter since January 2012. Others include the Lithuanian District Heating Association, the Ministry of Energy, Ministry of Environment as well as the Ministry of Finance.
The workshop aimed to promote exchange between more and less experienced municipalities in order to motivate non-signatories to join the CoM, and move the development and implementation of Sustainable Energy Action Plans (SEAPs) forward in all participating municipalities. It also acted as a forum to discuss and explore current framework conditions for local strategic energy planning in relation to the interaction with the national regulatory level.
The first day of the Workshop was devoted to initiation and development of a Strategic Energy Action Plan (SEAP) in relation to requirements within the Covenant of Mayors as well as national framework conditions.
The second day focused on implementation issues, particularly prospects for using energy performance contracting (EPC) as a tool to implement sustainable energy projects in the framework of the SEAP. The newly approved EU Energy Efficiency Directive includes measures to strengthen the EPC market. In Lithuania, EPC has not received any practical implementation due to a range of barriers, making many municipalities and other stakeholders reluctant to enter into such arrangements.
- Provide participating municipalities with specific guidance and learning on how to initiate and/or proceed on SEAP development, including via inspiration of existing examples from both inside and outside Lithuania.
- Increase participant awareness of important factors in the various phases of the SEAP planning process and offering first-hand knowledge of various tools and approaches.
- Address how SEAP development can be best supported at the national level in order to provide individual SEAP assistance as well as organising joint methods, tools and projects and experience exchange.
- Address effectiveness of current financing schemes for SEAP development.
- Detail the range of financial tools and supports which can be used to facilitate SEAP/SEP implementation (local tools/support as well as EU based tools/support) and letting them understand the basic principles behind.
- Learn on how to undertake appropriate implementation of SEP measures/investments, including making use of concepts like public-private partnerships, energy performance contracting (ESCO) to accelerate SEP implementation
Organised by: EC Network
Event website: http://managenergy.ne...
Name: Kaj Leonhart Petersen
Telephone: +45 32 50 88 00